Monday, August 26, 2013

Strategic Design









Around the time I began reading about TAB (Teaching for Artistic Behavior) two years ago, Dr. Wadell became our Superintendent, and LISD began the Strategic Design process.
Read a short summary here:
http://www.lisd.net/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=157261&type=d
And here is a link to our mission and beliefs that resulted from Strategic Design, which tie in perfectly with TAB:
http://www.lisd.net/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=118450&type=d&pREC_ID=231211

My Principal and Assistant Principal are forward thinkers, and passionate about their roles in education.  They have encouraged me as I transformed my classroom into a TAB studio, and throughout the years have been very supportive of the Fine Arts.

I am also fortunate because my subject is not "tested", and I am able to provide the time and space that kids need in order to learn through trial and error, to express their thoughts creatively, and to work toward an end with a million possibilities.

I have presented several times on TAB to other teachers and I am excited to continue to share and offer support to art teachers in their transition to Choice-Based Art.  The district is beginning to expect Project Based Learning in all content areas, and many of the misconceptions of PBL are the same as with TAB.  I will continue to support and advocate for both.


No comments:

Post a Comment