Thursday, October 31, 2013

October Updates

One of my favorite things throughout the year is when a new student comes to the art room for the first time and I get to tell them about the choice-based art studio.  Every student is different.  Some jump right in with painting or marker drawing, while others wander around the room and take in everything with wide eyes for most of the class period.  I personally identify with the latter inclination, needing the time to process my environment and consider the context before creating a 'product'.

As of this week we are in full studio mode, except for clay, which will be available when the large sculptures move out.  The students now have their folders and I have been stamping their checklists.  So far, I am exceedingly pleased at the results.  We haven't had a session on writing artist statements, but so far they have been very well written, and the students have a positive attitude when it comes to writing about their work.  During 5th grade today, two kids were doing paper mache, one was drawing a graphic for a video game, five boys were working on an elaborate model of a spaceship with K'Nex, two kids were printmaking, two were making foam sculptures, two were using popsicle sticks, and the rest were painting with florescent paint that I ordered for the first time this year.  Here are a few projects from the last few weeks:

Two boys made a soccer game with construction paper goals and popsicle stick people

Drum

Castle

K'Nex Spaceship

Castle

Oreos made from hole punching foam and a water bottle made from beads


I have two big things coming up in November, and still have a lot of work ahead.  Another art teacher and I will present on TAB at the Texas Art Educator Association's annual conference, which will be in Dallas the weekend before Thanksgiving.  And, I have decided to participate in NaNoWriMo this year.  I have tried NaNoWriMo three times, and "won" only once, in 2009.  What is NaNoWriMo?  www.nanowrimo.org



No comments:

Post a Comment