Sunday, November 16, 2014

TAEA Conference -- San Antonio!

Texas Art Educator Association Annual Conference in sunny San Antonio

Hello to everyone I met at the conference, and a special thanks to the few that stuck around on Sunday, got up early, braved a confusing conference room layout to attend my session, and were super nice!

Wondering if anyone would come to my early Sunday presentation -- they did!  :)  Thank you!
Below you will find a link to a google doc. folder with the resources I discussed in my presentation, Meeting Standards in Choice-Based Art Education.  There are only a few documents there now, but I will continue to add resources over time.  Please continue to older posts for additional information about how I structure my classroom and examples of student work.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6dEYFKjg62CTXdiMVJKMmdOMXM&usp=sharing


I had a great time at the conference, and San Antonio was beautiful!  On Friday evening, I took a break from the conference and went to Ripley's Believe it or Not and Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum.  I loved it!  On Saturday I did an audio tour of the Alamo and it was excellent.

Texas History can be so pretty!
I saw a lot of familiar faces at the conference, from the professors I had at UNT to classmates I had then.  I got to spend time with a former student teacher, now colleague, and many other art teachers I have come to know through LISD and previous conferences.

The general sessions were all great, as usual.  Gary Sweeney was very funny.  Olivia Gude shared her intriguing research on how we teach young artists.  Jon Hinojosa's Say Si program was immensely inspiring.

It was heartwarming to remember Joey Doyle with a community of people who loved him.  I met Joey in 2005 while I was looking for my first teaching position and working at Texas Art Supply in Houston.  I had  been through a dozen interviews in and around Houston, and then finally met with Joey in Aldine ISD.  It was a very nice meeting and he recommended me to interview at Caraway Intermediate School, where I was hired and worked for the next two years.  Even though I only saw Joey at conferences after I left Aldine, to me he was always a happy, positive presence.  He will be missed.

On my flight back from San Antonio, we made a figure eight over Irving (I saw Cowboy's stadium), the airport (DFW), Lewisville, Flower Mound, and then back over Grapevine to land at the DFW airport.  We flew right over my alma mater, Marcus High School in Flower Mound (class of 1999)!
Marcus High School

Thanks for reading!  See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment